Wednesday, January 30, 2008

On the weekend

of Cup Day, we had some rain. Boy, did we have some rain! The creek is usually dry, and although our neighbour Dave said that it does run on occasion, I confess that I didn't really believe him. I stand corrected!

When we arrived at FSF on the Sunday morning we were surprised to see that all the mulch from underneath the fruit trees had been moved with what looked like some force. It was forced up the trunks and had also been pushed to one side of the boxing that surrounds the trees. We were really confused, pondering what on earth had happened. Eventually after looking around some more and noticing that the grass had also been flattened and that there was a high tide mark around things in the shed we figured that we'd had a flash flood. So, fire, drought and flood at FSF so far - Dorothea Mackellar eat your heart out!! Naturally as soon as we worked that out I hightailed it over to the creek, and it had burst it's banks! Naturally also we didn't have the camera with us.. aaargh!



Monday came and on Monday night I decided to pack the kids, camera and lunch and hit the road on Tuesday morning. I didn't really expect the creek to still be as full as it had been but I was disappointed to see that it had dropped a lot - still I got some photos of it with water in it and also learned a lesson - always take the camera!



It was a good day. Katie and Erin toasted marshmallows and Shelby had a driving lesson. I got the pics I wanted and Ray had an empty, quiet house to sleep in (a pox on night shift!).

No comments: